Re: [ga] Delay

Elisabeth and all assembly members,

Elisabeth Porteneuve wrote:

> GA Members,
>
> To continue to ensure the services to the DNSO GA, to be able to
> grant it to you, the Secretariat needs resources, needs to estimate
> their cost and provide some detailed information to the NC.
> Please do not misunderstand - the purpose of quoted URL is not
> to state that things have cost and therefore cut it. Quite opposite
> - to show the resposibilities behind, to pay salaries to the
> staff under contract, and to provide good quality service.
> Started two years ago, the DNSO web site tree includes today
> approximately 600 pages, plus more than 3400 pages in public
> mailing list archives. Organizing things within such a huge site
> is not trivial.

  It is understood that the DNSO Secretariat function needs funding to
continue to provide quality services.  This is however the responsibility
of the ICANN BoD to provide the primary funding for these services.
I have also shared with others here in saying that the DNSO GA should
also help provide SOME of it's funding and other resource needs on
a paying basis.  Thus far however, not much has been done to
address this.

> I do believe that the GA shall have a correct means to function,
> and I have been fighting for that for more than two years now,
> spending all my spare time on the DNSO services, developping
> pieces of software, taking care of technical staff and hight quality
> services. It was and is very difficult, but sometimes so rewarding.
>
> The DNSO GA is the only place within ICANN process where
> anybody may join and actively participate, where users can meet,
> it is very precious.

  Well unfortunately the DNSO GA is not open to anyone as you state
here Elisabeth.  Many have been thwarted form joining or permanently
banned for participating that one did participate.  This should be
corrected forthwith.

> We have been observing here so many arguments,
> but also so many ideas and challenges. Last not the least, the GA
> did succeed to establish rules of its electronic life, which
> is far from trivial.

  The rules that are being imposed upon the DNSO GA members
are, and have been illegitimate from the start or their imposition.
We have all recently, and yet again witnessed Eric being suspended
from posting for reasons that are seemingly both unclear and unwarranted.
The practice of CENSORSHIP is wrong and should NEVER be
tolerated in any form.

> Coming back to the particular request for nomination of a GA
> representative to the NC's Review Task Force - this service
> will be provided by the Secretariat. We plan to start the
> nomination by the end of this week.

  This is good news!  >;)

> Elisabeth Porteneuve
> --
>
> > From owner-ga@dnso.org Tue Jun 19 03:08 MET 2001
> > From: "Danny Younger" <webmaster@babybows.com>
> > To: <ga@dnso.org>
> > Subject: [ga] Delay
> > Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 21:05:05 -0400
> >
> > Dear members,
> >
> > Please be advised that we have encountered an unexpected delay regarding the
> > nomination of a GA representative to the NC's Review Task Force.
> >
> > The explanation for such delay may be found at
> > http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/council/Arc05/msg00473.html
> >
> > I would appreciate any comments, thoughts, suggestions on this topic.
> >

> > --

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827