Re[2]: [ga] Domain names as observed (was Tucows Response to Cochet tiTransfer Letter)

Hello Sotiris,

Sunday, July 29, 2001, 7:10:36 AM, Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:

> "William X. Walsh" wrote:

>> Hello Sotiris,
>>
>> Sunday, July 29, 2001, 6:42:48 AM, Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:
>>
>> > "William X. Walsh" wrote:

>> What he said was that under the law, as it exists today, domain names
>> are not property.  His statemnet above, which is FAR from being
>> important to the point, merely acknowledges that the congress may pass
>> laws to change that in the future.

> I beg to differ.  His comment is quite germane to the point.  he makes it clear:  IT IS
> UNCLEAR EVEN TO THE JUDGE WHO RULED AGAINST DOMAIN NAMES AS PROPERTY, WHETHER THEY SHOULD BE
> CONSIDERED PROPERTY OR NOT.  Like it or not, you cannot change this FACT.

No, he made it PERFECTLY CLEAR, that under the law, as it exists now,
that domain names are NOT property and do not meet the definition.

All he did was acknowledge that the legistative branch may elect to
change that status at some time, as they can can with just about any
issue.

> You originally said "strong precedents", plural... where are the rest of them?  In any case,
> you and I both know that the next judge who rules in a similar case may establish the basis
> for a different precedent.

Except this one was held up in appeal to the 9th Circuit court of
Appeals.

That's going to be a hard precedent to change.

And where are yours?

I've found one, in US Federal court, that is clearly on point.

You haven't a single one.

Sorry, Sotiris, but not only have you gone over your posting limits
for the day, but you have exceeded your credibility on this issue as
well.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>