[ga] Re: [ALSC-Forum] Options A,B,C

Esther and all stakeholders and interested parties,

  The predominant aspect of the Options provided in this "outline"
is that it does not specifically provide for Inclusive and Competitive
Root/Registry structures.  As such, none of the options (A, B, or C)
are representative of the broad stakeholders/interested parties required
in the White Paper and/or the MoU.  My guess is that many of
New.nets registrants/domain name owners as well as number of
other Inclusive and Competitive root/registry registrants and
our members would find less than inclusive or properly accountable
and legitimate.

Esther Dyson wrote:

> These are very helpful, because they help clarify thinking!
>
> Note - You can have errors in guessing what *we meant,* but the whole point
> of these is to be starting points for discussion as to what would work
> best, which may well *not* be what we originally meant....  BTW, there's
> another option paper up, from Susan Crawford at Wilmer Cutler, and it would
> be great to see that one in this format too.
>
> *my* vision, at least, of Option B was that the customer constituencies
> would no longer be rigidly defined by ICANN (or the committee), but would
> melt, thaw, and resolve themselves into fluid dew - new groups/parties/
> splinter groups, whatever.  And the AL Members would all be individuals,
> even though they might be employed by some of the institutional "customers."
>
> Meanwhile, the DNSO would probably consist of registrars and of ccTLDs and
> gTLDs, as in option A.  Or there might be a finer subdivision into
> sponsored and unsponsored TLDs... and some of the ccTLDs might properly
> join the gTLD camp....  (Or, you could say that we'll take one column from
> option A and one from Option B.)
>
> With luck, ICANN would set out a limited, basic structure and some of these
> groups would re-/self-organize.
>
> Also, in Option B (and in some form in other options too), there's a
> permanent staff that crosses under the whole structure, but that (in option
> B at least) has some close connection to the SOs and the At-Large, whether
> through  aoppointees working  closely with the elected directors and the SO
> groups' staff or some other mechanism.  They would also (yes, none of this
> deals with cost!!) include a group devoted to communicating with the
> At-Large Members. That would foster congruence between the policies people
> voted for and the staff's sense of its mission.  (Note that the underlying
> message here is a hope that At-Large Members would focus on policies more
> than on individual directors/personalities, though it often takes a
> personality to clarify/articulate the visions behind policies.)
>
> ALso, I'm not sure about the Council and the GA in this model (Option B).
> Indeed, this may be one of the major differences between A and B, with B
> having fewer defined structures and more self-organizing, fluid
> ones.  Perhaps the Council Secretariat would morph into the customer
> staff.  And the GA perhaps *is* the totality of the AL Membership....
>
> Finally, Options A and B do not show the Advisory Committees, but I assume
> they would still exist in all three options.  And yes, we need some clever
> thinking about how to fund all this!
>
> Esther Dyson
>
> At 11:02 PM 7/30/2001, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
> >I have taken the liberty of creating visual representations to correspond
> >with Template Options A,B,C.
> >These have been published at http://www.icannworld.org/options.htm
> >
> >If there are any errors in my interpretation of what these options depict,
> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827