Re: [ga] Review Task Force List is now publicly archived

Joanna Lane wrote on 06.08.01, 17:12:34:
>> 3. GA Chair  Lead Philip
>> I propose that the present system for selecting the GA chair (GA nominations,
>> 10 endorsements, approval by the NC should be kept and added to the NC rules
>> of procedure.
>> I have not heard any objection to this. Roberto - please give your view.
>> Deadline August 15. ACTION all.
>
> Roberto. A resounding No. First, point me to the rule that says GA
> nominations require 10 endorsements, thoe are NC procedures, not the GA's,
> and the fact that they are is a figment of Philip's imagination I'm afraid.
> Second, a Motion to change the Bylaws to allow the GA to elect its own Chair
> was formally presented to both WG-Review and the GA under the Chairmanship
> of Greg Burton, which the NC supported by its own policies during the last
> Election. A formal motion was drafted (by me as it happens) seconded and
> voted on, receiving unanimous support from all GA members, with the possible
> exception of yourself (if memory serves me correctly). With the greatest
> respect, you cannot now chose to go completely against valid consensus
> building procedures that were undertaken within only recently during the
> last few months simply because it is not the result you seek.

>From the Scribe's Notes, DNSO NC, L.A. 14-Nov-2000:
 IV. Report from GA Chair Gaetano
 B.  Discussed election of new GA chair. Motion for
 direct election by GA of its own chair. Would require
 change to ICANN bylaws. Overwhelming majority in favor
 of this change.
(http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/icann/la2000/archive/scribe-icann-111400-2.html)

I am absolutely certain that Roberto will again remind
the Task Force and the NC of the motion, and if you look
at the archives, Roberto has been in favour of the
GA's right of electing its own chair, as are most all
of us.

I hope this is just some kind of misunderstanding on
the part of the NC.

Best regards,
/// Alexander