[ga] Position Statement

I have read the ALSC document.

Without any real advantage to the cause they were to investigate the ALSC
does not respect the consensus embodied by the White Paper and the MoU,
limiting the Internet Participants representation to less than one third of
the BoD.

It uses, as a technical gadget and a filter of doubtful result, the very
core of the Internet which are the Registrants, their much demanded and
awaited representation and their payments.

It adds the Indian region as I much asked for in here, but without China
and Eastern Europe all the existing rules of seat distribution on a
geographical basis are unballanced without real advantage..

It imposes on Internet stakeholders of every nature and revenues the
additional charge of a Domain Name and of an additional Member fee, as to
replace the disputed "pay to help" by "one dollar one vote".

It leads to real dangers for the stability of the entire ICANN as being
detrimental to the ccTLDs which should have been - as LICs legitimate
animators - the privildeged partners of the @large structure and to the BC
and NCDNHC users constituencies of which the role becomes uncertain while
they should have benefited from a measured @large introduction.

The technical aspects of filtering, selection, identification show seed of
many discontents and controversial positions, unfair advantages, local law
disrepects etc..

To my real regret, as we expected much from this study and from the
participant to its team, as a candidate to the BoD,  I want to state that
if I was elected I would oppose this proposition.

I call to a stable, simple and consistent scheme acknowledging the nature
of the Internet as the consensus of its authoritative participants to
utilize the TCP/IP protocol set under the IP addressing plan interfaced by
the DNS. This scheme will have to:

- provide a neutral, professional and open support to the Internet virtual
infrastructure through the Registy service of the Protocol numbers, of the
IP address blocks and of the TLDs according to RFC 1591 and 920.

- obtain sure guidance through the open and cross-fertilizing oriented
provision of common secretarat services and financing (as a virtual/real
Internet campus) to the constituencies sharing into the  governance of the
Internet at tructural level,

This will make:
- ICANN the keeper and the secretariat of the constituency consensus,
- constituencies the Members of the ICANN
- SOs the constituencies working groups with their Council and GA
The constituencies will be able to share in as many SOs they deem necessary.

Providing control and catalysis the BoD has to be balanced between netwide
oriented experts - technical, political, legal - and seasoned user interest
competences. To easily reach this candidacy will be in one of these two
categories when elected by the assembly of the constituencies.

The GAC needs to be complemented by a Consummation Consultative Council to
provide guidance to the SOs about the legal local impact of their
propositions and about the Consumer reactions.

Constituencies have to be joined by Registrants - Individual and Bulk,
Internet Users, Extended DNS designers for the market analysis and
specification of the DNS evolution, and SMEs new Constiencies.

The @large constituency should be formed by voluntary participants to
mutual interest services to the public, providing both identification and
budget. Such services would be such as the participation to the UDRP
juries, to responses to market studies, to polls on governance options, to
the test of new services, to NIC governance, etc. keeping its members
informed, active and rewarded all the year long.

If such an ICANN system is consensually accepted at necessary to the
support of the Internet Participants, its cost has to be equally supported
by all the participants through the price of the DNs, without any charge on
Internet Users.

Every decision or proposition in the ICANN global structure will be
proposed, debated, documented,   decided and referenced in using a same
transparent on-line mail based system to be defined and will include a part
telling how it fights the lingual, the digital and the financial divides.

Jefsey