Re: [ga] Status of the Review Task Force

Leah,

>Actually, you have a serious point.  I have long wondered why
>ccTLDs should not simply be included in the root and let it go at
>that.

With which mechanism?
I mean, who decides if a "thing" is a ccTLD or not, and if the operator is
authoritative?
Somebody must have the responsibility for inclusion of a new TLD, things do
not just happen by themselves.

>On 30 Aug 2001, at 20:08, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:
>
> > Actually, I kind of wonder
> > 1. why icann should have ANY say over ccTLDs?

Because ccTLDs have no other possibility to be included in the root.
The situation is not static, countries appear and disappear, and new records
shall be created/removed.
You may consider it unfortunate, but ICANN has this authority, even if it
acts only under adult supervision by USG (by USG has made it clear since the
Ira Magaziner times that it wants to operate behind the curtain, delegating
the front role to an entity acting under agreement with USG). In other
words, if it is not ICANN, it must be somebody else, since the real owner
(USG) considers politically unwise to act directly.

> > 2. why ccTLDs should have ANY say over ICANN?

If they don't want to, they should be free not to.
But if I were a ccTLD Registry, I would consider myself a stakeholder, and
would like to have a say in what is going on. Just like Registrants are
trying to do.

Regards
Roberto

P.S.: Just curious, why these questions? What is the alternative scenario
that you envisage for entry/exit from the root?
- ccTLDs "self-manage";
- USG acting directly;
- a third entity different from ICANN does it (VeriSign?)