Re: [ga] Re: Joker.com filing "common law" .info claims

Bill and all assembly members,

  Yes.  And this is one rendition of an argument that is is most important
to these issues as they relate to the free market.  The Sunrise provisions
provide for a closed method of hoarding of Domain Names as well as
a having a gerrymandering effect on multiple name spaces.  We [INEGroup]
have always held, and still do hold, that such practices should not be
allowed.  But of course the ICANN BoD and staff obviously feel and
felt otherwise as these "Sunrise" provisions were imposed upon the
stakeholders without their consent and against a consensus of the participating
stakeholders desire.

William S. Lovell wrote:

> William X Walsh wrote:
>
> > Sunday, Sunday, September 02, 2001, 12:48:12 AM, PacificRoot Hostmaster wrote:
> >
> > > But of course hoarding domain names in the hopes of extorting money from
> > > others who have a real need to develop content there is wrong, but being
> >
> > Yes, use it or lose it should apply in all parts of our lives then.  A
> > neighbor has a great classic car, that he never drives.
> >
> > Therefore he shouldn't own it, since he is not using it the way the
> > makers intended and is therefore depriving me of its use.
> >
> > There is nothing wrong with purchasing domain names on a speculative
> > basis, or anything else for that matter.
> >
> > It drives the free market economy.
>
> Methinks Mr. Walsh misses the essential point. It is NOT a "free market
> economy" when a registrar can hoard names with impunity, whereas if you
> or I as individuals did it, we'd be cybersquatters.  It is extremely difficult
> to avoid the surmise that the so-called Anticybersquatting Consumer
> Protection Act was passed firstly to protect NSI/Verisign's ability to do
> that, and secondly all the other (now) registrars that NSI/Verisign now
> has to contend with.  Surely it is a "free market economy" within the select
> group allowed to hoard, but it is not with respect to the rest of us. That "law"
> singles out a specific class of Internet users ("operators," etc.) and gives
> them special privileges.
>
> But William and I have had this argument before! :-)
>
> Bill Lovell
>
> > --
> > Best regards,
> > William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>
> > Userfriendly.com Domains
> > The most advanced domain lookup tool on the net
> > DNS Services from $1.65/mo
> >
> > --

> The URLs for Best Practices:
> DNSO Citation:
> http://www.dnso.org/dnso/gaindex.html
> (Under "Other Information Documents"; "August 2001:
> Proposal for Best Practices for the DNSO GA." This
> page also includes much else about the DNSO.)
> Part I:
> http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BestPractices.html
> Part II:
> http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BP-flowchart.pdf
> (Access to the .pdf file requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader,
> available for free down load at
> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.)
> Part III:
> http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BP-PartIII.html

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827