Re[2]: [ga] Net security's a losing battle

Friday, Friday, September 28, 2001, 2:25:31 PM, Joanna Lane wrote:

> on 9/28/01 2:14 PM, Patrick Greenwell at patrick@stealthgeeks.net wrote:

>> On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Joanna Lane wrote:
>>> what caught my attention was Scheier's [...] his viewpoint that companies are
> reluctant to report cyberattacks because of the stigma, making things worse.
>>
>> It's not just stigma, it's a potential liability issue as well.

> A company that sets out to hide from legal responsibilities is not one the
> industry should be defending. Reluctance to share reports amongst colleagues

A company who doesn't think about protecting itself from liability is
a foolish company who probably won't be around long.  Not to mention,
that if they are a corporation, they have a responsibility to do so.

We live in a litigious society, it's a simple reality.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>