Re: Registration data backup? (RE: [ga] We can't be against it?)

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, at 13:10 [=GMT-0400], Sandy Harris wrote:

> Are servers other than the root a concern?

Yes, I would think so.

> If so, are they an ICANN
> concern?

I think the gTLD servers are. Not those of SLDs ('normal' domains). As
for the CCTLDs, it depends on ICANN's authority over those........

> Clearly an accident or an attacker could do considerable
> damage to the net without touching the root -- for example hitting
> the zone servers for .uk, .jp or .org.

.ORG is (with .COM and .NET) on gtld-servers.net. That set is as good
as the root-servers, spread over the world. Not easy to get all 13
down.

.UK seems to have one nameserver in the US and one in Holland.

.JP gives the impression that they are all inside the country.

Some TLDs are clearly more robust in this respect than others.

> Can and should ICANN require
> RFC 2870 standards for administration of those?
>
> Do the NSI-run TLDs such as .com live on servers separate from the
> root servers? Should they?

com/net/org are no longer on the root-servers. .edu still is, as well
as .gov. .mil is partly nameserved by the root-servers.

--
Marc@Schneiders.ORG