RE: Re[2]: [ga] Reliability of the Internet - the silent battle - part 2

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Roeland Meyer wrote:

> [...]

There was no virus - Peter said he was 'cleaning' his NT boxes. There is
no way to clean them - Period. You have to start all over preferably
repartitioning and then format/install.

Peter uses NAV corp, which doesn't effectively stop NIMDA (which is the
only thing out there right now that would cause him to stay up day and
night trying to 'clean' his NT Box.

The 'fixnimda' tool avaiable from SARC doesn't shore up the root'ing of
your NT box - NIMDA is gone, but the leftovers of root kit is just waiting
for the next NIMDA to compromise your box again.

Symantec and Carnegie Mellon say to completely re-inistall or suffer your
customers the consequences and they are right.

Gartner Group says stop using IIS.

> It does prove another point, however, that there is no magic bullet for
> these things. MHSC servers withstood Code Red and Nimda attacks, for two
> solid weeks, that were sufficiently severe to use 80% of our WAN bandwidth,
> 24x7x2. It was a PITA, but I let it run because the servers seemed to be
> holding up well. Good architecture and systems policies are the only real
> answer and that takes a knowlegable hand at the tiller. A "magic" program,
> by itself, isn't going to save your servers. They have flaws too.
>
> Now that I've left everyone with that comforting thought, g'night all.

Bradley D. Thornton
Chief Technology Officer
The PacificRoot/Joint Technologies Ltd.
http://www.PacificRoot.com