Re[2]: [ga] Report on the NC Transfers Task Force activities

Friday, Friday, November 09, 2001, 7:55:59 AM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> In my opinion, Bret's explanation of the consensus process is right on
> target.  With regard to impacted parties though, I would add one more to the
> registrars and registrants.  The registrar transfer process also involves
> registries.  In fact, the transfer process is part of the contractual
> relationship between registries and registrars (the Registry Registrar
> Agreement).  Depending on what is proposed as a solution, there are
> contractual and possibly implementation issues for registries as well.

Yes, and it is in fact one of the many problems.

The company who is most at fault over transfer policies is owned by
Verisign, who is also tasked with enforcing those policies on the
registrars.

Verisign gets a free ride for registrars owned by it to act in
non-compliance with the transfer policies that all other registrars
abide by.  Repeated requests for Verisign to enforce its agreements
with regard to the Verisign registrar have been left completely
unanswered.

All of those here who just blindly accepted the extortion by Verisign
and let it get out of the divestiture of the registrar, and then also
gave it huge concessions on the previous mandatory separation of the
two divisions, can now see one of the consequences of that pathetic
and wrong decision.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>