Re: [ga] Re: Outreach

Joseph wrote:

> >From Soltiris:
> domain name (or internet access).  There are plenty
> of people in the developed world who cannot afford either!  The trend
> towards leaning over backwards so some third world
> nation (that has most likely sucked up billions in aid packages) can have an
> equal say in something they had no equal share in developing is sheer
> lunacy.  I'm sure there are plenty of people in Vietnam with domain names
> AND internet access.  the rest will either get online when they can afford
> to, or not.  I don't see how/why the ICANN needs to address (indeed cater
> to) the needs of the Third World Internet User, when they haven't even
> looked at addressing the desires of those in the Developed World!  This is a
> sideshow designed to steal attention from the things that really matter!  I
> will not sit back and watch such a farce without speaking up about it.
> ---------------------
> *** Myself, having originating from a "developing country", felt compelled
> to speak up on this statement. While I do not believe that you should "bend
> backwark" to help developing countries, doing so will, in fact, help the
> "developed" countries itself. Asia has more people than (for example) USA 4
> (four) folds.  Economically, (for example) China is more important to the
> west today than any other economy is, as it is still "developing" (like many
> other countries in Asia).  Developing is the time when the market is new and
> economic "bounties" are plentiful and is where "developed" countries wants
> in their marketshare statistics. ICANN is global, so it must think like a
> global player.

Joseph,

With all due respect, I meant no offense against any one person or group in the
developing world.  But what EVERYONE must understand is that although the ICANN
is indeed global:

1) ICANN is/was a technical standards and coordination oversight body which has
become an Internet policy making body through mission creep.  2) ICANN is NOT an
Economic Development Forum.
3) ICANN is not the United Nations.
4) ICANN is not the World Bank or IMF or WWF.
5) ICANN has no influence on Infrastructure Development of sovereign nations.

> It has to work on BOTH the first world(?) and the third world
> at the same time.

Agreed.  But why does this mean we should focus ICANN's attention on the
Internet connectivity (or lack thereof) within a sovereign nation?

> There are merits to the "Prosper Thy Neighbour" policy as
> it will, in return prosper thyself.

ICANN is not in the business of "prospering its neighbours", only its
contractual partners.

> Also, developing countries have a
> substantial number of domain name holders.

I'm not denying this, I mention as much.

> Forgetting this and isolating
> this group of people is analoguos to "let's just cater to the rich and
> forget about the poor even though there are more poor people than rich
> people." --except that it is on a macro-level.

Nowhere do I advocate such a position.  However, if you don't own a domain name,
or you don't administer any IP assignments, or you don't have anything
whatsoever to do with INTERNET ADDRESSING what exactly IS your interest in the
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers?

> Also, developing countries does not mean that there are no "good people"
> (lesser maybe, but not zero).

I did NOT imply/state any such thing.

> There are more contents from the developing
> countries than you may have thought, mostly isolated in their own language
> and culture. There are more lines of code written by programmers from (for
> example) India than one may have thought. So, it is untrue to say that
> "<snip>...something they had no equal share in developing...<snip>".

My reference was to persons who have no domains, IP assignments, and whatever
else goes into the making/development of the Internet DNS.  There are plenty of
people in India who spent their hard-earned rupees to buy domain names and to
get connected, such people SHOULD be looked upon as equal partners.  Can you
imagine HOW a country like India could guarantee the IDENTITY of every one of
its citizens who wanted to be a voting member of ICANN, but did not have an
address of any kind?

> Please do reconsider your position.

> P/s: I am not saying that Developed countries are better nor am I saying
> that the Developing countries are better.

Neither am I.

I am saying that ICANN should stick to being ICANN and not the UN.

Most Sincerely,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos