[ga] are there Internet Users or Internet Participants ?

Sotiris Sotiropoulos rose a very pertinent question: what is an "Internet
User", a buzphrase used by the ALSC.

Could we be serious about it and try for once to listen to each others.
IMHO all the  disputes we have may be summarized in that buzphrase. Marilyn
Cade also rose some times ago the good question of what is an "Internet
Participant". I will try to address it quickly and I call for comments.

The Internet is the consensus of its participants to interconnect their
domains in using the TCP/IP protocol set under the IP addressing and naming
plans; the Internet governance is the common management of this consensus.
This is at least my reading of it.

So there is no "Internet User": users are the users of the interconnected
domains and of the agreed services. Interconnected domains participate
(interconnect) in building the global system. This is a peer to peer
system. Until recently it was linking groups of physical machines (hence
the word "domain") and now more and more indeferently of physical machines,
virtual systems and people.

As non-network persons Joe Sims, Mike Roberts, Louis Touton did not
understand that and have conceived a "star network" legal architecture. I
supposed that most the BoD people did not see the problem either coming
from Telcos, IBM/DEC networks, etc...Vint, Alejandro, Karl may event no
really have a "meshed network" thinking due to the very old zone oriented
routing system. Open Roots people are only more in advance, but by nature
they think "meshed network". The only one adapted - in part - to the
distributed architecture are New.net (and only in part). The problem is
that there is a complete cultural divide between these three thinkings:
star, meshed and distributed networks. I would even say a civilization
divide: the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries way of thinking and
living.  Example: Foreign, International, Multinational Affairs, and business.

This creates the imbalance. ICANN is thinking in terms of world ruler.
ccTLDs are thinking in term of International cooperation. Verisign is
thinking in terms of multinational operations. As long as Joe Sims does not
understand that and adapt the ICANN - I suppose he could do it and propose
the ICANN a new deal - the stupid disputes, the absurd root controversy,
the ccTLD unbalance, the Verisign World Take Over, the DNS weaknesses, the
dotcommers dissatisfactions and most of all the misunderstanding will
continue and increase. We do not speak of the same thing.

To help understanding what it means in practical terms, let see some
difference between a star, a meshed and a distributed approach may be. I
list s) m) d) for star, meshed, distributed.

Who is in charge? s) ICANN m) NIC d) end users

Who decide? s) USG m) govs d) consensus

DNS is : s) hierarchical m) organized d) open

Relations rules are : s) contracted m) agreed d) common to all

Costs are covered by : s) few large sponsors m) tarifs d) member discussed
contributions

Nations are : s) rulers m) territories d) supports

Personal relations :
s)  closed groups/secrecy/agenda
m) organized groups/transparency/lobbying
d)  open groups/common decision process/community correct

Root is :
s) of the essence, real time and centralized
m) advisable, real time and mirrored
d) useful, asynchronous and broadcasted

Domain Name :
s) an organized label that can be priced and resold
m) a service to the registrant which can be decided upon and freely rated
d) the name of someone's property - life long, non reellable, free, cost of
use charged.

UDRP
s)  a centrally decided and pre-judicial promoted procedure
m) a complexity to avoid is possible
d)  the DNS users clarification of  an inappropriate mnemonic

Etc. I do not claim that my example are perfect. It just for you to see the
gap.

Real world, interconnected machines and services and the Internet Global
Community are distributed. Several systems like the SSRAC, to some extent
the GAC, some constituencies, most of the ICANN Mailing Lists are meshed.
The bylaws, the Staff system, etc are star oriented.  One has to understand
that no system is better than the other: they are just resulting from the
current social thinking and behavior and from the source code. Was is
devastating is to use the wrong plug to power the system.

I hope this may help some positive thinking.
Jefsey