Re: [ga] Fw: 6:224 AU (AUSTRALIA)...."...like a mini-ICANN...it may not have any responsibility for IP addresses..."

Jim Fleming wrote:

> > The Next Generation Internet (NGI) is taking shape. Microsoft has
> > recently made the technology needed to use "IPv8 Addressing" with IPv6
> > available in Windows XP. That is the standard Windows now shipped on PCs.

This is, as usual from Fleming, nonsense.

Yes, Microsoft are beginning to support IPv6. A search on microsoft.com
for "ipv6" turns up over 100 hits.

However, that has nothing to do with Fleming's stuff. A search on
microsoft.com for "ipv8" turns up precisely zero hits. They are not
doing "IPv8 Addressing", or anything remotely like it.

That is entirely natural, since IPv6 is a real set of protocols, under
development by the IETF with several dozen RFCs describing it, many of
then labelled as "standards track" so they will eventually become IETF
standards. For all I know, some already have.

Working Group home page:
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ipngwg-charter.html

Major companies involved:
http://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng/html/ipng-main.html
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/732/ipv6/index.shtml
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/communications/networkbasics/IPv6.asp

A user group and a public test network:
http://www.ipv6.org/
http://www.6bone.net/

Whereas "ipv8" appears to exist only in Fleming's head. Checking the
IETF, we find not even an Internet Draft, let alone any RFCs.

Jim does sometimes post worthwhile stuff here, as in his recent post
pointing out ICANN management's fascinating claim in court that they
don't actually have authority to make TLD decisions, only to make
recommendations to the US gov't. I therefore disagree with those who
suggest ignoring everything he posts.

As for those who complain of his elitism and overly technical posts,
just remember that nearly all the technical content of his posts is
pure nonsense. Ignore that, by all means.