Re: [ga] Starting From The Top -- The Supporting Organisations

Patrick and all assembly members,

  Yes I am updated frequently regarding the Web sites you posted
below with respect to the three SO's presently making up ICANN's
structure with respect to supporting organizations.  Several of our
members including myself participate in all three SO, I do for
instance in all three.  Other of our members are concentrating in the
ASO and to a lesser degree the PSO.  In addition a number
of our members are also frequent participants in the IETF, including
myself (TLS and IPv6 for instance).  I believe that I have mentioned
this before on this forum also.

  But thank you anyway Patrick for the outline. >;)   However this
none the less does not change the fact that IP addressing (ASO)
is more closely related to DNS(DNSO) than is Protocols (PSO)
in terms of functionality.  Hence my comment in response to your idea.

Patrick Corliss wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Nov 2001 02:54:23 -0800, Jeff Williams wrote:
>
> > I think to follow along with you idea here that it would be better
> > to merge the ASO and the DNSO rather than the PSO and the
> > ASO as the DNSO and the ASO are more closely aligned
> > from a function standpoint.
>
> Hi Jeff
>
> Thank you for you input.  According to the ICANN website, the three SOs are:
>
> 1. The Address Supporting Organization (ASO) is concerned with the system of
> IP addresses, such as 128.9.128.127, that uniquely identify the Internet's
> networked computers.
>
> 2. The Domain Name Supporting Organization (DNSO) is concerned with the
> domain name system (DNS), the system of names commonly used to identify
> Internet locations and resources.  The DNS translates
> heirarchically-structured, easy-to-remember names (like www.icann.org) into
> IP addresses that have been assigned to specific computers.
>
> 3. The Protocol Supporting Organization (PSO) is concerned with the
> assignment of unique parameters for Internet protocols, the technical
> standards that let computers exchange information and manage communications
> over the Internet.
>
> I have checked out the ASO website at http://www.aso.icann.org/ and find
> that it is very light on detail.  Most of the work seems to be done by the
> Regional Internet Registries (RIRs).  In particular the ASO mailing lists
> have almost no input to speak of.
>
> There are a few policy guidelines at http://www.aso.icann.org/docs/ but some
> of these are outdated.  Others simply link back to ARIN or ICANN websites.
>
> The only items of real value on the ASO website, it seems to me, are this
> year's 10 Address Council Teleconference meetings at
> http://www.aso.icann.org/meetings/ as follows:
>
> 3 January        7 February    9 May              6 June         27 June
> 11 July          5 September    3 October        7 November     5 December
>
> Of these, only the first seven have links to minutes or similar content.
> Browsing through the meeting for 5 September 2001 gives some interesting
> discussion points.  No action seems to have been taken on those relating to
> the WHOIS survey.
>
> http://www.aso.icann.org/meetings/ac/ac-20010905.html
>
> The last section, marked "AOB" says the following:
>
> <quote>
> "RB is concerned about the number of new Support Organisation
> propositions, e.g ccTLD SO, non-commercial SO, commercial SO,
> technical SO
>
> BR clarifies that the only active proposal is the ccTLD SO.  She
> believe the AC does not have a position on this at this moment.  There
> is not much that could be done right now apart from participating in
> the meetings to keep informed.  The real issue arises if it would be
> decided to re-constitute the ICANN Board. At that point in time the
> ASO can get involved.
>
> HPH understands RBs concern. This trend could reduce the importance of
> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827