RE: [ga] Domain Transfers

At 01:48 PM 12/13/2001 -0500, John Berryhill wrote:

> > Anyone who wants to change their Registrar should have to sign a document
> > with detailed about, from and to information and this document should be
> > notarized.
>
>...and every registrar should speak every language so that they can read
>notarial certificates from any country?
>
>If the registrant is "Xiaolu Chin", what would you expect their name to look
>like, let alone their signature, or the words on the notarial certificate?
>How about "Abdullah Ajami" or "Vladislav Krietskova"?
>
>In any event, of what use is a notarial certificate in any jurisdiction
>outside of the one in which it was issued, unless the notarial certificate
>is legalized by the relevant consulate?
>
>Do you know what notaries in some countries cost?  Most people transfer
>registrars to save money.  $35 per year for a domain name is *nothing* next
>to notary fees in a lot of places.

Hey John,

No, I do not know where notary fees exist or how much they are.  In the USA
any bank will notarize for no charge.

>Registrants are much more secure with something along the lines of a
>password-protected web interface than knowing that any teenager with a
>printer, a pen, and a seal from the stationary store can take any domain
>name they want.

Agreed.  The best solution is the one that currently exists.  Everything
instigated from the Registrant or their Authorized Representative
(Administrative/Technical Contact; although William and I have already
agreed that the best scenario would be for the Admin only).

> > Only the Technical or Administrative Contact should be allowed to
> > instigate
> > a change like this.
>
>And just how do you propose that anyone OTHER thant the registrant is going
>to be able to bind the registrant to the terms of the receiving registrar's
>domain name registration contract.  That's like saying the only people who
>can sell my house should be my accountant and my plumber.

We agree.

:)

~k