[ga] New chair candidates

In private messages it has been suggested to me to accept the nomination
for chair of the GA. I am afraid I cannot do so. And I would like to
explain why to all of you.

For several reasons, both personal, but mainly Icannesque I have to
decline the honour.

I am most disappointed at the way ICANN is handling the report of the .org
task force, in which I participated on behalf of the GA. Touton
interfering, the NC Chair trying to put his stamp on it before actually
discussing it in the NC, it made me a bit bitter. "Due process" seems to
mean something else in ICANN than in my vocabulary.

Also, as some of you may know, I am running a root-server in the ORSC
(Open Root Server Confederation) for a year now. This would probably make
it impossible for the NC to appoint me, given ICANNs president's
unfortunate stance on these matters.

Things may start to move, not so much perhaps in the old alt roots, but
elsewhere, as you perhaps have seen on some list today. Tiscali, a not
very small ISP in Europe, is going to do new.net. I don't like this
approach, of new.net, but it shows that the 'power' in the DNS will
perhaps move to ISPs. I am not sure this is good, in fact I still think,
it isn't. But what can we do? I can put up a server, but what does it
matter, if nobody points to it?

If this sounds bitter, I apologize. I am still interested in fighting
for some 'decent' solution towards an open and solid DNS without the
veneer of a cartel.

Marc@Schneiders.ORG

+31 30 699 28 25
+31 6 55 81 82 16 (mobile)