Re: [ga] Request for immediate action to be taken againstRegisterNamesHere .com

----- Original Message -----
From: Joanna Lane <jo-uk@rcn.com>
To: <ga@dnso.org>; Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@ntlworld.com>
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2002 3:14 AM
Subject: RE: [ga] Request for immediate action to be taken
againstRegisterNamesHere .com

Exactly Joanna, well said.

It may seem hard for some people to understand, but the DNS does not exist
in order to give Registrars a living.

Registrars exist - and may earn a well deserved living - within the broader
context of a DNS administered to give the public a stable and unprejudiced
service. If Registrars can operate within that public service remit : fine!
If not, then they need to look for a different career.

What is NOT acceptable is the level of corruption, cheating and
discriminatory trading you get, if Registrars don't have an open and public
interface, available to all.

Let me repeat : the Universe = a DNS which ICANN is mandated to see
administered openly and evenly for every human being on the planet.

Sub-Universe = Registrars permitted to operate UNDER that mandate, if they
understand the repercussions of that mandate eg primarily a public service.

Those whose needs should come first : the public, the consumers (for whom
the DNS is set up), NOT the Registrars. It is not the needs of the Registrar
s that should drive policy, but the need to operate an open, accountable and
available-for-all system where any individual can pick any Registrar
(Service-Provider). There should not be "exclusion zones" set up by
Registrars who arbitrarily decide who they will "let in". That's exactly
what happened last week with 6 Registrars in the .biz 2B, where the majority
of customers were prejudiced for the sake of a group of Registrars who
"excluded" almost everyone except their friends.

Both ICANN and a collection of rogue registrars have failed the public, and
neglected the DoC mandate, by accommodating abuse, and ignoring the true
purpose (the public service purpose) of the Agreements.

I hope this finally answers your question, William, if not to your own
satisfaction.

Just look at the .info and .biz abuses and tell me THAT'S in the public
interest.

Kind regards

Richard