Re: [ga] Role of GA

Danny, Phillip and all assembly members,

  Phillip, Danny is not attacking anyone here as you comments seemed to
indicate.  In fact as has been called for before and is the norm in any
assembly that I know of, ratification of policy initiatives is essential.
The democratic process as Danny rightly points our is not to be feared
by the NC in this case, but should be embraced and highly prized
as it gives them a accurate view of where the DNSO participating
stakeholders actually stand on issues that may become policy or need
a policy to deal with...

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> Philip,
>
> By definition the GA is already the complete and full membership of the DNSO
> (that many constituency members choose not to actively participate in either
> their own constituencies or the GA does not diminish their rights as members
> to cast a vote to ratify the decisions of the group they have elected to
> join).
>
> Democracy is a wonderful institution and I prefer to solve our problems by
> giving each DNSO member the right to vote to ratify Steering Council
> decisions, rather than to continue denying them the right to vote while you
> pursue non-democratic alternatives.
>
> You have nothing to fear from such democratic voting.  If the Council does a
> good job formulating policies that reflect the consensus views of the broad
> membership, then all Council decisions will be ratified by the
> One-person/One-vote mechanism.  If they aren't ratified, then this is
> indicative of the fact that more work is yet required.
>
> Checks and balances are important in any organization.  A democratic vote
> functions as such.  I see no drawbacks to a pure democratic voting process
> that involves the entirety of the membership of the DNSO.  Do you?

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827