Re: [ga] What is the GA?

Tuesday, May 07, 2002, 8:08:25 AM, James Love wrote:

> I'm not quite sure if I understand the offense that Thomas, Alexander,
> William and a few others have taken to encouraging  people to register to
> vote in the GA.   When Thomas announced he would allow a vote on the rebid,
> I checked and found out that I wasn't registered to vote, even though I have
> been on this list for years.  Lots of other people who post aren't listed as
> voters, and also lots of people who don't enjoy the daily bickering on the
> GA list but have participated in the GA in the f2f meetings.  I assumed the

The fact is that when the GA was created and voting rules were
determined, that the requirement to be considered a valid voter was
that you be a member of the GA list and/or a recognized constituency
list, as well as register in the voter registry.

This is not a "democracy" Jamie.  The GA rules are clear that it runs
by consensus, and that votes are meant to be a measure of whether
consensus exists.  That means that a vote of 50% + 1 for instance
would not be passed on as a consensus conclusion of the GA.

The GA is a body, it's not simply a collection of people who want to
vote on things.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>