Re: [ga] NC BS

On 2002-05-15 18:56:36 -0400, Marilyn Cade wrote:

>We didn't enough about this issue in the GA discussion, but you
>might draft a comment about what you think the GA should b e if
>you don't like this formulation and forward it via the chair/alt.
>chair.

The current recommendations 18, 19, 24, and 25, taken together,
certainly do not provide adequate participation for the public and,
in particular, for individual users' and consumers' interests in a
DNSO process using them as a blueprint.

 - Recommendation 18 only lists the existing DNSO constituencies.  I
   believe that it would be wise if the DNSO would include a
   placeholder for a consumers' interests constituency in this
   section.  I actually believe that such a constituency, in which
   _strong_ advocacy groups should be represented, is crucial for
   balanced policy-making: It could add the necessary political
   weight to consumsers' interests.  Having these interests
   represented (in policy-making, as opposed to the board level!) by
   either an at-large membership or an individual domain name
   holders' constituency would most likely carray significantly less
   weight.

 - Recommendation 19 lacks a clear procedure for adding new
   stakeholders. It is an extremely bad idea to essentially put the
   participation of new constituencies in the existing
   constituencies' hands.  Any such addition would affect the
   current balance of powers, and could be perceived as a risk for
   constituencies' existing influence.

   For this reason alone, it seems unlikely that new constituencies
   would _ever_ be added without considerable outside pressure.

   (Note that, for this reason, it's also highly unrealistic to
   believe that the NC could follow my above remark concerning
   recommendation 18.)

   If you continue this line of thought, the next thing to ask for
   is an artificial balance of user and supplier interests in the
   council, independently of the number of participating
   constituencies, by weighting votes accordingly.  One way of
   implementing this is the gTLD constituencies' recommendation to
   have separate policy development bodies.

 - Recommendation 24 is, quite frankly, unrealistic: Verifying the
   GA's members' constituency membership is something which has
   already failed in the past.

   Actually, while the discussions about the currently-running vote
   were going on, Alexander and I considered the idea of verifying
   the eligibility of members of the voting registry, in response to
   James' outside campaigning.  When we asked Roberto and Harlad how
   this was applied in the past, we learned that these rules have
   never been enforced - because some constituencies apparently have
   not been able to either confirm or deny membership of individuals.

   Also, the example of the non-commercial constituency's discuss
   mailing list demonstrates that (sort of) reasonable and
   intelligent discussions are certainly possible on mailing lists
   with public participation.  (As are allegations of slander, libel,
   and the like - but that's most likely unavoidable around ICANN.)

 - Recommendation 25 describes a public consultation period as "the
   channel by which individuals and parties not fitting into the
   stakeholders/constituency scheme participate in policy-making".  I
   believe that this is an extremely poor suggestion for public
   participation: During such public consultation periods there will
   typically be no actual dialogue between the public and task force
   members, which severly limits the impact such comments can have
   on evolving policy.  Also, since public consultation is to be
   done on "proposed new policy," this consultation period will
   occur _after_ any compromises have been carefully worked out
   between constituencies.  It's not too realistic that any deals
   made would be re-opened just on the basis of public comment - in
   particular when there is no or little time between the receipt of
   public comments and the publication of a task force's final
   report.

   All a public consultation process could realistically do would be
   to make visible the most obvious abuses of policy-making process.
   But these would be visible anyways.  Thus, it's unlinkely that
   such public comment periods would actually improve the policy
   which evolves.

Comments?

Thomas Roessler                          http://log.does-not-exist.org/