[ga] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] Board conflict of interest on .org

Barbara and all,

  I agree with Jonathans comments which you quoted.  I don't
think that they could be reasonably disputed.

  I believe that we and Jonathan already know that the answers to
his first two questions below is "NO".   This leaves only the third
question Jonathan posed without an answer.  I disagree with Jonathan
on one point.  That being that there "may be a very good explanation"
to his third answer if either of the first two questions was "NO".  I
seriously doubt that there is such a good explanation.

Barbara Simons wrote:

> I agree that it would be very useful to hear directly from Mr.
> Blokzijl.  There appears to be consensus that Mrs. Blokzijl worked for
> NeuLevel and that she no longer works there.  Jonathan Weinberg, whose legal
> credentials are beyond dispute - although saying that something is beyond
> dispute is taken by some folks on this list as a challenge - has stated
> that:
>
> "In this case, it seems plain that Rob has a "financial interest,"
> as defined by the rules, in ICANN decisions directly affecting
> Neulevel.  Barring unexpected factual developments (all I really know is
> that Lynn identified herself as a Neulevel employee at recent RIPE and
> ICANN meetings), it seems to me, further, that the interest is material.  I
> can imagine, OTOH, a person arguing that that the interest is *not*
> "material."  So long as reasonable people can differ, the director should
> place the matter before the disinterested members of the conflicts
> committee for their judgment."
>
> Given the importance of the dot org decision to the user community in
> general (those folks who ICANN is supposed to be serving) and to this list
> in particular, I agree with Marc that the time has come for Mr. Blokzijl to
> respond to the questions that have been raised in these recent discussions.
> In addition, I have some questions of my own, to which I would appreciate
> receiving answers.  Questions 1 and 2 are really really easy, since the
> answer is either yes or no in both cases.  Maybe Dave or Alejandro could
> enlighten us, since they appear to know a great deal about the situation.
> Of course I would far prefer hearing from Mr. Blokzijl himself.
>
> 1.  Did Mr. Blokzijl offer to recuse himself from any discussions relating
> to dot org?
>
> 2.  Did he use the appropriate channels to inform the ICANN Board of a
> potential (notice the word potential, as opposed to actual) conflict of
> interest?
>
> 3.  If the answer to either of these questions is no, then why did he either
> not recuse himself or not inform the Board of a potential conflict of
> interest?  There may be a very legitimate explanation, in which case we can
> terminate this discussion.
>
> Regards,
> Barbara
>
> On 5/17/02 10:11 AM, "Marc Schneiders" <marc@fuchsia.bijt.net> wrote:

> >> You have the wrong perspective on who is responsible for providing
> >> information.
> >
> > You have the wrong perspective on the topic. It is about trust. Who is
> > responsible for that?
> >
> >> Why don't the people claiming misdeeds a) get their facts right, and b)
> >> pursue the matter in a constructive and respectful manner?
> >
> > I think I did not make any claims, nor showed disrespect to my fellow
> > countryman or his wife. I want their names cleared completely. Why don't
> > you do, if you can? Come to think of it, why don't they?

> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827