Re: [ga] NC BS

Joanna and all assembly members,

Joanna Lane wrote:

> Brett,
> Great post, but I confine myself to one (long) comment on this part:-
>
> If an ICANN policy benefits registries
> > and registrars, but is detrimental to registrants and other
> > end-users, then
> > ICANN has failed. Note well that the converse is not true.
>
> If you go to:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/bbc/acc_how.shtml, and use that as
> a role model, you will see that twelve Governors could be appointed by the
> USG to ensure that ICANN/ it's successor agency fulfills its obligations.

  Yes this is a possibility.  Let's hope that it isn't necessary or otherwise
done.

> They are men and women with a wide range of experience and interests in
> public service and the arts, business and industry. Among them are figures
> that could be considered as National Governors for the five or six ICANN
> territories. One Governor has special responsibility for the US Region. The
> BBC has a track record dating back to your parents generation - in short, it
> works. (ok, I'm biased, I worked for them fulltime for more than 10 years).
> Bur please check it out.

  Ok I will do so and pass it along to our members.  I am sure there
are some of our members that are familiar in the EU...

> All would be part-time non-executives. They would meet monthly and hold
> ICANN managers to account for their performance against the agreed strategy
> and objectives. The Governors ensure that ICANN is
>
> 1. directed and managed in the public interest and accountable to license
> payers (aka domain name registrants) and Parliament (aka the USG or some
> elected GAC body that is regarded as having global authority over the
> internet)
> 2. complies with its Charter, Agreement and other regulations
> 3. complies with the law
> 4. maintains the high standards and values expected of the ICANN as the
> internet's regulator.
>
> There are many other checks and balances in place, but in a nutshell, ICANN
> would be led by the Director-General, who is both chief executive and
> editor-in-chief. The Governors appoint the Director-General and (with the
> Director-General) the most senior management.

  I see some problem here.  Such a "Director-General" that is appointed
could be influenced, or such a position could be unduly influenced
by the ICANN BOD and staff itself as to whom is appointed.  Hence
I would prefer, as I am sure many stakeholders/users would, that such
a position as well as the other Governors, to be elected not appointed.

> A new management structure
> places stronger emphasis on allowing the full raft of website content to
> flourish, including non-profit and minority interests as well as commercial,
> which all helps to reduce overheads. Operations are run by the directors of
> gTLDs, ccTLDs, publishing and professional divisions and so on and....by the
> chief executives of ICANN's commercial businesses (yes, we must make a
> provision for a part of ICANN to develop into a commercially profitable
> entity separate from the main ICANN). They report to the director-general
> and together make up the Executive Committee. A less formal Leadership Group
> meets to discuss and develop a clear vision for ICANN.

  This is good stuff here.  And it is what the ICANN BoD, along with
the constituencies as well as SO's are supposed to be doing in the
current structure of ICANN.  However due to the political gaming
and vast differences in especially how the DNS works or could work
is how things started to fall apart and now remain in some disarray
as a result...

> Please give the BBC a good hard look, because essentially, while we're all
> scrambling to draft sections for "the dummies guide to running a public
> interest organization running the internet". with a few minor adjustments,
> the BBC has it all, more than you would ever need to solve current dilemmas.
>
> The salient point is that in a public interest organization such as the BBC,
> (and hopefully ICANN/ Newco), the supply side doesn't have a vote. It exists
> by the simple laws of supply and demand. This would mean relegating the
> supply side to a service contract with ICANN, to keep the services going
> that people want to purchase, such as data escrow for individual
> registrants, meanwhile getting rid of the unattractive parts, such as WLS
> (if so determined). This sounds horrific to most stakeholders within the
> ICANN process, so please, go look at the BBC then come back and show me the
> supply side hasn't thrived - in fact, the BBC is the greatest benefactor of
> the film and TV industries over the tough economic times. The simple fact is
> that I, along with the rest if the users in this world, want the supply side
> to survive and compete - that's where we get user choice. This is the
> direction where we need to go, several lifetimes away from what is currently
> on Philip Shepard's Radar screen.

  Good points here and I would've to agree that the NC, and possibly
Phillip as it's recent messenger, are very far away from this ideology...

> Philip knows exactly what I'm talking about, he was born and raised on a BBC
> diet.
> James, I should post this to your new list "what replaces icann next" list,
> but I wanted to answer Brett and not sure of cross posting rules there?
>
> Regards,
> Joanna

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827