Re: [ga] deletion policy - what should it look like?

Thomas and all assembly members,

  Your suggestions for the "Mechanics" if you will, for the basis
of a deletion policy are good ones Thomas.  But they are
not quite complete in the context of the teleconference
discussion nor do they address whether or not such
a policy be a contracted one, an on which entity, the
Registrar?, The Registry?, The Registrant?, or
both the Registrar and Registry?

Our answers:
The Registrar and Registry must be contractually required to be
a accredited Registrar or Registry of ICANN in any delete
policy.  Such a policy can be a separate contract or an amendment
to the existing Registrar and Registry contract agreement...

  Our answers to the Mechanics of a delete policy:

An notification to the registrant of no less than one notification
of upcoming expiration of the current registration on any Domain
Name must be sent to the Registrant no less than 10 days prior
to the registration expiration date and no more than 21 days prior...

Or...

  Ownership of a domain name is given consideration as a policy
of domain Name registration at registration time as a possible
option....

Thomas Roessler wrote:

> One of the things which have come out of the TF calls is that there
> have been quite a few people calling for a uniform domain name
> deletion policy (which I hereby baptise UDNDP).  What should this
> policy look like?

>  - Delete precisely N days after the date of expiry, at HH:00 UTC.
>  - Delete between M and N days after date of expiry.  (N - M = 7)
>  - others?
>
> Comments welcome.  While I don't believe that a deletion WG could
> actually get a full consensus policy done until Bucharest (as Danny
> suggested), producing a suggestion may still be worth the effort.
>
> --
> Thomas Roessler                          http://log.does-not-exist.org/

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827