Re: [ga] The Real World - The international Domain Name security issue??

ALexander and all assembly members,

Alexander Svensson wrote:

> At 22.05.2002 17:15, William S. Lovell wrote:
> >"Need to Know: ICANN CAN'T," Scientific American,
> >June 2002, p. 21.
>
> Thanks for forwarding this!
> The "ICANN CAN'T" box accompanies a longer article
> about IDNS security risks.
> (http://www.sciam.com/2002/0602issue/0602scicit5.html)

Well Kuhn was doing pretty good until he go to this part
in particular: "But are international domain names even necessary? Kuhn,

                          who is German, doesn't think so: "Familiarity
with the ASCII
                          repertoire and basic proficiency in entering
these ASCII
                          characters on any keyboard are the very first
steps in
                          computer literacy worldwide."
Internationalizing names might
                          succeed only in turning the global network
into a Tower of
                          Babel. "

  I was here that he lost all his creditability in this skewed
article...

  Face it, International character set Domain Names are here, and
here to stay.  Addressing some of the minor security issues are
not all that difficult to do if you address it from the server (ASCII)
side or the problem.  This has been known for more than a year now.

> Lauren Weinstein from PFIR says that a regulatory
> approach will be necessary to prohibit confusing names
> (e.g. homograph names, like microsoft.com incorporating
> Cyrillic "c" and "o") based on the UDRP. "But it will
> require proactive policing on the part of the registrars,
> such as VeriSign, something they have typically resisted."

  Registrars and Registries should be doing proactive policing
anyway.  The fact that they have not is mainly due to the lack
of empitus that ICANN has thus far refused to do.  Hence
the incentive for proactive policing is not there.  No small
wonder...   If you don't expect performance from the
accredited Registrars and Registries, you won't get it.
And THAT is the Real World!!!

Next!

> Best regards,
> /// Alexander

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827