RE: [ga] The Real World

On Wed, 22 May 2002, at 23:15 [=GMT-0400], Cade,Marilyn S - LGA wrote:

> I won't debate the number of seats for users or who users are, given
> the present ICANN evolution and Reform. I make one comment, you seem
> to think that business, institutional, non commercial users don't
> count... but only individual users..

I am not sure whether you are trying to turn my argument around to avoid
dealing with it, or that I did not make myself clear. What I mean is that
user representation cannot be limited to businesses and the other
categories you mention. They are indeed represented in ICANN, although
without any real vote. Users at large, even domain name holders at large
have no voice, let alone a vote.

> You must be joking if you equate the registrars and registries with
> the business users. Don't mistake us. WE are users.

A small but important part of the users, sure.

> If you want better enforcement by ICANN OF THE CONTRACTS, that is
> interesting and important, and I suspect you will find support.... but
> not clear from your post WHAT you want. I'm interesting in learning
> your concerns,

The main concern is that we as users (1) finance ICANN and (2) are
affected by ICANNs decisions. Either of these warrants that we have a say
in ICANN. An effective say, beyond being allowed to post to some webforum.
ICANN is not a world government, I've heard that often enough. And I
agree. ICANN does, however, make rules that affect all of us. So far
they've succeeded quite well in letting these rules mainly benefit big
business players. Yes, I am talking about the UDRP. (How is the review of
that going?)

> As far as alternate roots are concerned, one should think about
> history. In this country very long ago, and in Europe and Mexico, not
> so long ago, different telephone companies served distinct user
> groups. IF one wanted to reach someone on a "different root", one
> contacted the operator, who "connected" the roots... meaning disparate
> groups of users.
>
> Is that a future consistent with the goals of the international
> Internet community? I doubt that.

It is certainly not in the interest of businesses. And since alt roots
will only flourish when the ICANN root is out of touch with a significant
portion of the users, to avoid different roots is an easy task.

--
Marc@Schneiders.ORG

http://www.bijt.net/