Re: [ga] various comments

Christian and all assembly members,

  Yes, I found that part rather interesting too Christian!
I can only gander a guess as to a REAL answer.
That being that ccTLD's are in the Root...
But I would not find that to be an adequate
answer/excuse...  However don't expect a
straight answer, if any from Joe on this one.
After all he is a lawyer...

Christian.Ahlert@sowi.uni-giessen.de wrote:

> Dear Joe:
>
> Interesting use of language: Why should ICANN "oversee" the
> cctld's?
>
> Best
> Ch
>
> Subject:                [ga] various comments
> To:                     ga@dnso.org
> From:                   "Joe Sims" <jsims@JonesDay.com>
> Date sent:              Thu, 23 May 2002 08:20:04 -0400
>
> Let me try to collectively respond to the various posts dealing with my
>
> 1.  ICANN is a process, not a thing.  Its only purpose in life is to serve
> as a facilitating mechanism for issues related to the DNS for which there
> is no other available or preferable forum.  I understand that there are
> people out there who don't like that idea, and wish it were not so, but
> there are  also people out there that do like the concept, and so far, the
> latter have been more influential than the former.
>
> 2.  ICANN's mission, simply put, is to provide a forum for discussion,
> consensus building where possible, and decision-making on matters which are
> either necessary or highly useful to the continued effective operation of
> the DNS.  I understand that reasonable people can and do differ about the
> parameters of that mission, and so it continues to be debated. Some people
> think there is a broad consensus on this point, and others do not; in the
> meantime, decisions will be made by those with the ability to make them,
> exercising their best judgment as to the course of conduct that most
> conforms with the first sentence of this paragraph.

> the continued stable operation of the DNS, for the benefit of all those
> that rely on it.  If ICANN can provide the forum for discussion and debate,
> and make decisions as felt necessary, with the result that (despite all the
> forces to the contrary) the DNS continues to perform effectively, that will
> validate its existence.  To date, this has been done while a competitive
> registrar system and a SRS has been introduced; while seven new generic
> TLDs have been introduced; while a global dispute resolution system has
> been introduced where none existed before; and while there has been a
> continuing forum (no matter how imperfect some feel it has accepted or
> reflected their views) for debate and discussion about not only these
> issues, but internationalized TLDs, the appropriate system of oversight for
> ccTLDs, the proper role of the RIRs and root server operators in the global
> coordination of the DNS and addressing system, and the appropriate
> governance mechanisms for such a unique entity as ICANN.  In the future,
> there will be more significant issues that raise their own policy problems
> -- perhaps a larger number of new TLDs, IPv6, DNSsec, IDN deployment, etc.
> So the challenge for ICANN now is to reform and regularize its structure
> and processes so it can effectively serve as the policy development body it
> is intended to be, but in a more effective and workmanlike way than has
> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827