Re: [ga] WLS Status Report

Ross and all assembly members,

Ross Wm. Rader wrote:

> [cc'ed to nc-transfer@dnso.org]
>
> George,
>
> I completely agree with your remarks in this regard. As previously
> mentioned, the community has really been dealing with two separate issues
> here;
>
>     1.) Verisign's initial failure to deal with registration activity
> generated by registrars [the ensuing arguement boiled down to whether or not
> the registrar behavior was appropriate or whether Verisign was failing to
> live up to its obligations under the registry contract with ICANN and the
> registrars. Tucows still contends that the batch pool system implemented by
> Verisign represents an arbitrary establishment of policy contrary to the
> FCFS methodology that was previously in place and that in fact, Verisign has
> an obligation to establish and maintain systems infrastructure commensurate
> with, and capable of dealing with the policy implications of their contract.
> Verisign contents that registrars are engaging in an illegitimate activity
> that they therefore should not support.]

  I also agree with Ross's remarks and detail nicely yet briefly provided
above.  From a registrants/stakeholders/users point of view, or otherwise
position, it is clear that WLS does not address the current problem in it's
entirety, nor is it reasonable to consider as policy in dealing with Delete
and/or Transfer of Domain Names in a fair and equitable manner.  It also
forces registrars and their registrant customers or potential stakeholder/users
into a policy approach that they have no voice of vote in but yet are directly
effected by it.

>     2.) The introduction of a new (monopoly) registry service that would
> affect (adversely or positively, I leave it to the reader to determine which
> theology they prescribe to) the (pre-)existing market for services.

  Also agreed here.  Such policies or types of policies do not deserve
consideration.

> I recommend that the passage below be  removed[1] from the final report
> unless it can be clearly established that a) registrars were engaging in
> illegitimate behaviour, or conversely, b) that Verisign did not live up to
> their contractual obligations and provide the infrastructure necessary to
> support the existing policy instead of arbitrarily establishing new policy
> that lead to the batch pool methodology.
>
> To your second point concerning the fast-track recommendation, it is my
> understanding that this will consist of a policy analysis (and
> recommendations) concerning standardizing the process of deletion and
> re-registration (and other related policy issues.) Tucows fully supports
> this approach provided that it is not inconsistent with the views that have
> been widely held as being "appropriate practice" over the last few years
> (ie - specific and finite period during which a domain name must be deleted
> by a registrar after it expires, safeguards for registrants, re-registration
> pricing equivalent to original registration pricing, FCFS, etc.)

  These potential safeguards must be the choice of the original registrant if
that registrant can be contacted in a given period of time (30-60-90 days?)
Other than that I believe that Ross is also correct here as well...

> -rwr
>
> [1]The statements provided in bullet five and six of this section tend to
> support the conclusion that this entire should be removed, perhaps with the
> exception as being a historical note (which, if this is the case, the
> passage need be reworded to function as a statement of fact.)

  Agreed here as well...

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827