Re: [ga] FYI: EU Council thinking about ICANN

Alex and all assembly members,

  Yes, Chris Wilkinson I believe posted this in a preliminary
report about two weeks ago on another forum and was carried
by some internet press...  It is however clear that the EU is
quite unhappy with the direction ICANN has been going and
is heading...

Alexander Svensson wrote:

> [This is a note from the Presidency of the Council of the EU
> -- the body of the member states -- to Coreper, the Committee
> of Permanent Representatives, sort of ambassadors to the EU.
> The document is from 3 June 2002 and it's preparing the
> Telecom Council meeting on 17/18 June 2002. It confirms the
> rumour that there has been an undocumented GAC meeting in
> Canberra and gives some insight into the current EU member
> states' thinking about ICANN. Some interesting excerpts
> follow. /// Alexander]
>
> http://register.consilium.eu.int/pdf/en/02/st09/09526en2.pdf
> ------------------
> [...]
> 1. The ICANN Mission
>    ICANN should have a clearly defined, limited and stable mission,
>    giving priority to technical functions that are essential for
>    the coordination and stability of the Internet. Certain existing
>    activities could be reduced to improve that focus. Relevant legal
>    and contractual work should be reduced to what is essential.
>
>     The ICANN mission should be stabilized: the agreed definition
>     should be adopted and revised by the Board by a 2/3 majority,
>     after a GAC opinion.
>
>   Bottom-up participation and consensus building should continue to be
>   guiding principles of ICANN's working methods. [...]
>
>   In many cases, ICANN’s mission impinges on public policy issues. In
>   these cases GAC must play a stronger role in the decision making process.
>
> 2. The Public-Private Partnership
>    There is a need for clarification of this open public-private
>    partnership ICANN must be, in which governments should have a greater
>    involvement, particularly in matters of public policy.
>
>    Government involvement in the ICANN processes should be through an
>    enhanced relationship between ICANN and GAC rather than through
>    direct governmental participation in ICANN's Board and Budget.
>    [...]
>
> 3. ICANN structure, membership and financing
>    The private sector participants concerned are responsible for reaching
>    mutually acceptable agreements regarding the structure of ICANN, its
>    membership and financing and its decisionmaking processes. Due
>    consideration should be given to the adequate protection of the
>    public interest by strengthening the standing of GAC Advice.
>
>    Such agreements, however, must give full weight to internationalisation,
>    transparency and fairness and to maintaining the principle of geographic
>    diversity and representation throughout the organisation.
>
>    Governments should [...] satisfy themselves that the interests of other
>    appropriate international stakeholders are adequately recognised in the
>    final structure.
>
>    Governments should not contribute directly to ICANN's budget.
>
> 4. Treatment of public policy issues
>    Where ICANN's activities are likely to involve public policy implications,
>    ICANN must consult the GAC. The scope of relevant public policies should be
> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827