[ga] Poptel/AusRegistry's bid for .org

Title: Help
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/020610/90019_1.html

* * * * * Poptel spokesman Malcolm Corbett added: ".org is an important and valuable part of the Internet. Poptel has a long history of working with not for profit organizations and we have strong support for our proposals from the .org community. With .coop we have proved that we can deliver a first rate registry service. Pooling our knowledge and resources with AusRegistry in Unity Registry is a tremendous step forward."

In addition to their technical capabilities the Unity Registry partners promise to propose an innovative mechanism for user involvement in determining the future direction of the .org namespace. * * * * *

Now THIS is an interesting initiative (it's been developing for some time).

Firstly, Poptel has a strong long-term involvement with co-operative and not-for-profit organisations. And secondly, they are tuning into the increasingly important issue of user-representation and participation: "Unity Registry partners promise to propose an innovative mechanism for user involvement in determining the future direction of the .org namespace."

I hope this will be looked at very closely indeed to see if this Unity bid offers something distinctive which will be preferable to less imaginative and less responsive bids. The fact that they place value on user involvement to help determine the registry's direction is a very good sign indeed, in my opinion.

Richard Henderson

www.theInternetChallenge.com