[ga] What is the GA?

I'm not quite sure if I understand the offense that Thomas, Alexander,
William and a few others have taken to encouraging  people to register to
vote in the GA.   When Thomas announced he would allow a vote on the rebid,
I checked and found out that I wasn't registered to vote, even though I have
been on this list for years.  Lots of other people who post aren't listed as
voters, and also lots of people who don't enjoy the daily bickering on the
GA list but have participated in the GA in the f2f meetings.  I assumed the
GA was the one place left where *anyone* who cared about DNS policy could
have a voice.   It doesn't have any power, but at least it was open.
Alexander got all worked up over posts to the NCDNHC, ICANNWatch and
Slashdot.....   3 pretty obvious places to look to find people who can spell
ICANN and who might be remotely interested in voting on an ICANN related
issue.  I don't think of any of these three lists are being particularly US
centric, but also, I assumed that the ICANN-Europe and various Asian, Latin
Am or Africa discussions on ICANN related issues actually talk about stuff
that goes on (other than the daily trading of personal insults).... which I
would think would be a good thing.    If it was up to me, I would encourage
much broader information about a vote, to allow anyone who had an opinion
about the ICANN contract to vote, and hope for press interest in a vote, if
one could actually interest the press.   This is how people find out about
things.    Now perhaps this is a misunderstanding, and perhaps it is wrong
to generate any interest in an issue as fundamental as a rebid on the ICANN
contract, outside of those who have to wade through the daily GA list
traffic.  Maybe an endless capacity to read email from an ICANN listserve is
the true test of someone qualified to express opinions on ICANN.    Sort of
an endurance test?

Jamie

http://www.dnso.org/dnso/aboutdnso.html

A General Assembly ("GA"), consisting of all interested individuals and
entities.

      THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY

        (a) The GA shall be an open forum for participation in the work of
the DNSO, and open to all who are willing to contribute effort to the work
of the DNSO. The participants in the GA should be individuals who have a
knowledge of and an interest in issues pertaining to the areas for which the
DNSO has primary responsibility, and who are willing to contribute time,
effort and expertise to the work of the DNSO, including work item proposal
and development, discussion of work items, draft document preparation, and
participation in research and drafting committees and working groups.

        (b) The GA shall meet at least once a year, if possible in
conjunction with regularly scheduled meetings of the Board. To the maximum
extent practicable, all meetings should be available for online attendance
as well as physical attendance.

        (c) The costs of GA meetings shall be the responsibility of the
DNSO, which may levy an equitable, cost-based fee on GA attendees to recoup
those costs. There shall be no other fees required to participate in the GA.

        (d) The GA shall nominate, pursuant to procedures adopted by the NC
and approved by the Board, persons to serve on the Board in those seats
reserved for the DNSO.