RE: [ga] Watching the voting registry

I totally agree with Marc's eternally sane comments here. I have a real
problem with the suggestion that the recent increase in the voting registry
is in some way bad. Whichever way you look at it, suggesting that this
increase is bad is tantamount to saying that some (undefined) group of
people have the right to determine who can and can't vote in the GA. It
seems to me that those who are suggesting some dark motive behind the
increase in the voting registry are only really concerned that their own
position may not prevail in a vote on whether or not to rebid for ICANN's
services.

May I respectfully suggest to those of you who have argued that calling for
this vote is in some way "wrong" and that the increase in the voting
registry is in some way "sinister" that, as Marc suggests, you get out there
and campaign for the continuation of ICANN in something evolved from it's
current form. I am afraid that you may find this quite hard - but at least
no-one will be able to accuse you of trying to perpetuate the current system
by suggesting that some people newly interested in ICANN issues don't have
the right to vote on the major issue of the moment which is what is the best
structure for DNS governance.

To suggest that solutions can only evolve form the current structure (rather
than accept that the current structure may actually be the cause of the
problem) seems perverse to me; and if this really is a minority opinion,
then that will become clear in a vote.

andy duff