[council]

Re: [council] Fw: [cctld-discuss] NCDNHC To Be ccTLD"Oversight" Body?

The key distinction between gTLDs and ccTLDs is given on the IANA web site
as follows:
Top-Level Domains
There are two types of top-level domains, generic and country code.  Generic
domains were created for use by the Internet public, while country code
domains were created to be used by each individual country as they deemed
necessary.

In other words, they key distinction between ccTLDs and gTLDs is a matter of
control.  In the case of ccTLDs, it is up to individual countries to
determine how their ccTLD is to be used; and if any country deems it
necessary to open up their ccTLD that is their perogative.  Thus Jim is
incorrect when he says:

 In short, the whole notion of ccTLDs
quickly breaks down and once the Postel Regime ended, people saw
how quickly TLDs like .TV, .AM, .FM and .MD became generic.

Regards,
erica

.