RE: [ga] Second Advisory Concerning Equitable Allocation of SRS Resources

The political problems are both the [lack of] notification [to the GA] and
the business requirements of the SRS system. The result is a technical
problem that can be solved by proper distributed systems architecture.

This particular problem was forseeable over two years ago. NSI had lookup
melt-down problems, even then. The issues were exactly the same. At the
time, I indicated my lack of confidence in NSI's software development
capabilities.

Name registration lookups are probably the single most common transaction on
the SRS system. Not only is that fact intuitively obvious, but I'll bet no
small amount of change that statistics will bear me out. In other words ...
DUH!

Lois Touton is *way* out of place, blaming users for bad systems design. The
system should be scalable to the load requirements. Whatever those load
requirements may be or whatever they may become. A real good design allows
scaling by additional hardware.

There are only a small number of firms that are considered competent to
handle such design. As far as I know, neither ICANN nor NSI has ever
contacted any of them. BTW, Versign *isn't* one of them.

--
R O E L A N D  M J  M E Y E R
Information and Systems Archtect