[ga] Re: Consensus... Definition?

Perhaps Sotiris is right...

How many times have we discussed the topic of consensus already?  Every time
that we have serious issues on our plate... the need to restructure ICANN
into a more representative body, the need to deal with registrar transfer
policies that are holding domain owners hostage, the need to address problems
with the SRS... on each such occasion, our Names Council representatives and
some others prefer to talk instead about "consensus".   To paraphrase a
frequent contributor to this list, "This is a rathole."  We are being
victimized by diversionary tactics.

Rather than allowing the Review WG to continue its work and "officially"
settle the issue, our Council decided to terminate the WG and convene a Task
Force to determine "a practical definition" of consensus.  The ball is in
their court now.  Let them do their own work (as they were perfectly willing
to terminate our work in this area).  If you must continue conversations on
this topic, why not send your comments to the Chair of the Review Task Force?
   His email address is philip.sheppard@aim.be

Maybe one day he'll actually open up his "web-based forum" and allow you all
to participate.  In the meantime, as long as there are those with the power
to thwart your declarations of consensus, you will have accomplished nothing
with all your sophistry.