RE: [ga] Consensus... Definition?

Copied to Philip Sheppard as WG Chair.

On 18:32 12/08/01, Peter de Blanc said:
>Sorry, the .html got left out
>http://www.cpn.org/cpn/sections/tools/techniques/consensus_democracy.html
>And your link ending on ...tools is a good place to start.

This is an excellent case based ("what i a consensus") approach of the
general me/we model - (however it goes very far on details). You may note
that most of the other posts described the consensus as something with live
with but we do not know how to define.

The consensus is a key compenent of the "me/we" model as I name it, which
is taking over as a social, technical and probably economical model for the
XXIst century society.

In that model the consensus - and you all expressed it nicely without using
the word - is what is "community correct".

The consensus is a dynamic evolutive, multi-dimensional new form of the
social pact applied to a community: one element of the community pact . It
may be based upon a referent (reality, faith, program...) or originated by
the community itself. It is obtained by the progressive filtering of the
opinions the community leaders feel as inapropriate. This filtering may
also be a "consensus by exclusion" of the undesirable members, then
resented as "intruders" or more.

The weakness of community originated "consensus" is that it may become
totally stranger to the reality, a self-created creed giving however the
community the consensus feelings of homogeity, stability and security.

A consensus may also become empty. We experiment that with the NC: there
are so many positions filtered that there is no more substance. To correct
that situation, changing the methods will not make any good - they are
neutral. You have to remove some of the filters. IMHO the DNSO produces
nothing because both DNSO and @large filters are applied to its consensus
filtering process. DNSO will produce normally as soon as its @large
concerns - and therefore filters - are removed.

Jefsey

PS. I would be interested in digging into "me/we" (ego-communitarian)
model, and I am considering a three days brain storming cession this falls
on the matter as part of the "governance" workshop started by the European
Commissions.  Interested people from this Mailing List welcome.