[ga] Re: Temporary Suspension of Batch Delete Process

Hi William,

----- Original Message -----
From: William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>
Tuesday, Tuesday, August 14, 2001, 3:43:18 AM, Paul Cotton wrote:
> The ICANN accreditation demands that domains are deleted if not renewed.

Where does it do this?

Nothing I've read says this anywhere.

---- ends ---

Heres the part of the registrar accred agreement I was referring to:

"3.7.5 Registrar shall register Registered Names to Registered Name Holders
only for fixed periods. At the conclusion of the registration period,
failure by or on behalf of the Registered Name Holder to pay a renewal fee
within the time specified in a second notice or reminder shall, in the
absence of extenuating circumstances, result in cancellation of the
registration. In the event that ICANN adopts a specification or policy
concerning procedures for handling expiration of registrations, Registrar
shall abide by that specification or policy."

Taken from : http://www.icann.org/registrars/ra-agreement-17may01.htm
 (I know we are talking about the registry not a registrar, but this
paragraph describes how the registration will be cancelled, a function
performed by the registry in line with the registrar agreement):

I don't recall that last sentence being there the last time I looked at this
document, but even in the current context, "cancellation of the
registration" is pretty clear.  That last sentence would give Verisign the
necessary means of getting their own way by playing puppet master to ICANN
though.

Regards

Paul Cotton
Director