Re: [ga] Consensus... Definition?

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 18:08:59 -0400, "Gomes, Chuck"
<cgomes@verisign.com> wrote:

>If every decision has to be a consensus decision, nothing will ever get
>done.  Moreover, not all decisions are policy decisions.  Some decisions are
>contractual, some are business decisions, some are legal, etc.

I agree with this.

However the ICANN staff have beyond any doubt been making policy
decisions with no input from the DNSO.  An example I have used before
and asked someone to explain is that in the new TLDs there is a ban on
registering a ccTLD at the 2LD unless you have permission of the
Government concerned.

This is not a technical issue.  This is not a business issue.  This is
a policy issue.

It should not be in there as there is no mandate for it.  I know WIPO
is in favour of such a thing but any ideas from WIPO should go through
the IPC to the DNSO and then the ICANN Board surely?

DPF
--
david@farrar.com
ICQ 29964527