Re: [ga] Consensus... Definition?

Chuck and all assembly members,

Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> If every decision has to be a consensus decision, nothing will ever get
> done.

  I disagree with this broad statement or evaluation.  We demonstrate
otherwise on a regular basis.

>  Moreover, not all decisions are policy decisions.  Some decisions are
> contractual, some are business decisions, some are legal, etc.

  Indeed true.  However with respect to business decisions regarding
ICANN should be bottoms-up, measured consensus.  As well,
some contractual decisions that involve ICANN, should also be
bottoms-up, measured consensus.

> I certainly do not think that all ICANN and DNSO decisions made to date have
> had the full consensus of the larger community, but there are several
> reasons for this, a few of which I think are these:  in some cases the
> demand for action did not allow adequate time for a rigorous consensus
> development process;

  This one is lame.  Time is not the issue at all.  Proper time management
is done every day on a global basis.

> the DNSO had not yet developed and applied a consensus
> development process that could be used effectively; the Names Council
> sometimes acted like a representative body instead of a consensus management
> body; etc.

  True for the most part.  The reasons are many and varied.  However some
are as follows:  the NC has blocked many attempts at good faith efforts
in progress in the development of a consensus process.  The ICANN BoD
and staff have also served at times to block or thwart through paid
Consultants implanted within the DNSO GA in the development of this
process.

> You cannot force people to participate in the consensus development process,
> but if reasonable efforts are made to encourage their participating, that
> should be acceptable provided it is documented.

  It is documented in the archives of this forum.  Such efforts have been
undertaken on several occasions.  In each and every attempt, actions
from either the BoD or the NC have thwarted or destroyed these efforts.

> Chuck

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827