Re: [ga] ICANN | Advisory | 23 August 2001

Marilyn and all assembly members,

  Excellent comments and well articulated here Marilyn.  ( More comments
below yours on specific PARTS though...)  >;)

Cade,Marilyn S - LGA wrote:

> I fear that I am part of the folks who don't trim away enough.  :-)

  Good, glad you don't!  >;)

> But that doesn't mean that I can't benefit from the experience of others to
> improve my own behavior.

  Well being a little less political and more practical and supportive of
AT&T customer's REAL wants, needs and desires would be a good
area to concentrate on for you!  >;)

> I had a conversation recently with an industry colleague in a developing
> country where he/she responded to my simple forward with a lot of
> unnecessary attachments [from their point of view] with a request: Please
> cut off any unnecessary text in your communications.  Online communications
> costs are much greater in [my] country than in yours.

  Anyone is of course free to take this approach at their discretion...

> So, I found this exchange in the GA both enlightening and interesting.  I
> think Kent is right about the  "online etiquette" issue, but some of us may
> still be thinking that context requires forwarding of the full string. And,
> since perhaps there are new folks on any communications, it might appear to
> be so.

  I don't believe Kent is correct on the "online etiquette" issue.  In fact
just the opposite.  It is improper to take someone else's comments out of
context by overly snipping them by the responder.  It's just plain rude
and misleading.

> But, since many will find the transmittal of the full string burdensome, I
> suspect we have a compromise somewhere in the middle on this issue.

  I would think this would very from post to post and dependent on
the context.

> I am part of, as are most of my fellow GA subscribers, other groups.  I note
> that some other groups I am a subscriber to, in other countries, also make
> the request of "cutting off the string".

  Yes some do.  But very few that I am aware of and none that I participate
on.

> So, while not endorsing either view, NOR SEEKING TO CREATE A NEW WORKING
> GROUP ON COMMUNICATIONS PROTOCOLS, I wonder if we could benefit from just
> individually thinking of how we like to be communicated with, and try to
> achieve a process which doesn't burden others, but gets the points across
> which the "speaker"  wants to make.

  Personally I think this subject area is worthless for the most part, and
nonproductive to boot.

> MC

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827