Re: [ga] FW: ICANN meeting in Montevideo - And the saga continues...

Leah and all assembly members,

L Gallegos wrote:

> The "should" is ICANN.  Any internal structure organization within
> ICANN should be funded by ICANN.  If not, then ICANN should
> separate the SOs from itself and recognize self-formed
> organizations that represent segments of the internet community
> world wide.  Of course, doing that would open the doors for the
> greater community to influence policy at ICANN for the greater
> good - a frightening concept for the power brokers.

  And the essentially sums up the biggest failure of the Constituency
and SO structure of ICANN.  In fact the basic structure of ICANN.
I said this about two years ago.  I see that is is finally sinking in
with the GA members, slowly but surely.  Well done here Leah!

> I think the point is that the structure needs change, but in the
> meantime, ICANN has seen to it that only certain segments have a
> voice in policy making and those the ones who have the money -
> IP interests and major corporations.  DN holders, Noncoms and
> users are the poor relations and ignored.

  I think you mean that the ICANN BoD and staff have to see to
it that ALL segments have a voice and a VOTE in the policy
decisions.  We have seen what there result is if they don't.  But
I am not overly optimistic that the current ICANN BoD and staff
will take the necessary steps, although few, to do this.

> "Pay to play" is no better than the feudal system of the middle
> ages.  ICANN supports a club of the monied special interests and
> will continue to do so if allowed.  However, it will take more then
> rhetoric on the GA list to effect any change.

  How true!

> The problem, as I see it, with the GA is that it is not in a position
> to have any influence on ICANN policy without DNSO restructuring.
>  Until then, who or what entity or entities will fund it?  It's a catch-
> 22.

  Essentially correct.  And money isn't the only medicine needed, but it
is an important one.

> Meanwhile, the game goes on.  There are those in the GA who are
> working diligently to effect change and are being fought at every
> turn by those who want to see the status quo and disenfranchise
> all but those power brokers.  Nothing changes.
>
> Jeff is right on the one hand.  To get anything done, find a way to
> fund the GA and rally behind it.  But at the same time, find a way
> to restructure to give it a place where its voice counts and perform
> serious outreach to increase the volume of its voice.

  With enough money, most things are than possible if you have enough
of the stuff!  The GA has a paltry sum, and no good means to
even collect it thus far.  But even with a good means, it must have
people willing to put their money where their mouth or keyboards
are.  Even the poorest among the GA members.

> Leah
>
> On 25 Aug 2001, at 3:20, Jeff Williams wrote:
>
> > Joanna and all assembly members,
> >
> > Joanna Lane wrote:
> >
> > > on 8/24/01 9:35 PM, Nilda Vany Martinez Grajales at vany@sdnp.org.pa

> > > Hello Vany,
> > >
> > > If DNSO is internal to ICANN, then it is ICANN's responsibility to
> > > fund it, and no SO should be expected to fund itself externally.
> > > Isn't that Jefsey's point?
> >
> >   Yes I believe this was PART of Jefsey's point.  Indeed the DNSO is
> > part of ICANN. In fact it is an SO.  But the GA is the "Assembly" of
> > the DNSO. It should fund itself if the ICANN BoD and staff is not
> > going to, which it looks like it isn't going to do....
> >

> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Joanna
> > >
> > > The URLs for Best Practices: DNSO Citation:
> > > http://www.dnso.org/dnso/gaindex.html
> > > (Under "Other Information Documents"; "August 2001:
> > > Proposal for Best Practices for the DNSO GA")
> > > Part I:
> > > http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BestPractices.html
> > > Part II:
> > > http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BP-flowchart.pdf
> > > (Access to the .pdf file requires installing the Adobe Acrobat
> > > Reader, which is available for free down load at
> > > http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.)
> > >
> > > --
> > > This message was passed to you via the ga@dnso.org list.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Jeffrey A. Williams
> > Spokesman for INEGroup - (Over 118k members strong!)
> > CEO/DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.
> > Information Network Eng. Group. INEG. INC.
> > E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
> > Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827
> > Address: 5 East Kirkwood Blvd. Grapevine Texas 75208
> >

> > --
> > This message was passed to you via the ga-full@dnso.org list.

Jeffrey A. Williams