Re[2]: [ga] Registrars Selling Dropped Domain Name Lists

At 11:49 AM -0700 26/8/01, William X Walsh wrote:
>> http://www2.domainnamesystems.com/expireds.html
>
>> And if you want to see an example of a Registrar auctioning off names they
>> grab in the drops, check out
>
>> http://www.namewinner.com brought to you by the Dotster Registrar.
>
>To be clear, both companies are selling chances to register domains
>that had been dropped at the registry and will become available for
>reregistration, not names that are registered with them, but not
>renewed by their customers, like the question was seeking.

I disagree. Re-read the wording on the domainnamesystems.com page:

"EXCLUSIVE!!! - not available at any other registrar!!
These domains are recently expired and have not yet been released into the
registry!
They are available for re-registration only through Domain Name Systems!"

They are talking about names that were registered through their system.
When one of their clients fails to pay the annual fee and the name goes
on-hold, they offer them to allcomers, with a sliding scale payment
depending on how long it is before the name gets deleted.

These names are for sale for $15
acuratoys.com
big-ass.org

These names are $60 - because they expired more recently
clubalison.com
esexmagazine.com

Check the WHOIS details - domainnamesystems is a Tucows reseller?

--
Andrew P. Gardner
barcelona.com stolen, stmoritz.com stays. What's uniform about the UDRP?