Re: [ga] RE: GA/DNSO Funding Issues

Chuck and all assembly members,

Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> Danny,
>
> Such expenses could certainly come directly from ICANN's funds.  But it is
> important to keep in mind that the fees ICANN collects must be raised to
> accommodate the increased costs.  Donations have served as a way to keep the
> budget lower.

  Donations should and in accordance with the Tax-free status, must be
the predominant source of ICANN funding.  So bare this in mind.

> I think it is important to keep in mind that ICANN does not have any funds
> except for what it collects in fees.  So unless there is a decrease in costs
> in another area, for every increase in expenditures, there needs to be a
> corresponding increase in fees.  Right now the majority of fees are paid by
> registries and registrars so ultimately the fees are paid by registrants.

  Yes but these fee's are paid to the Registry or registrar, not ICANN.
Yet ICANN dictated that these fees be included in the Registrar and
now Registry contracts.  And again let me remind you, and everyone,
that ICANN's primary source of funds must come from donations
or the loss of tax-free status is very possible.

> Chuck

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827