[ga] RE: GA/DNSO Funding Issues

Dear Chuck,

I am doing my best to try to understand the finances involved.  Perhaps you
can clear up some misconceptions that I might have.

I am given to understand that ICANN has been invoicing the gTLD registrars at
a rate of $535,000 each quarter.  According to the first quarter "State of
the Domain" report, there were 3,033,933 new registrations during the
quarter.  This would amount to about 18 cents paid to ICANN for each such new
domain registration.

Knowing that, at the moment, the two largest registrars represent 62% of
total registrations, and that both charge $35 for domain name registration, I
would tend to conclude that these registrars are not suffering an undue
financial burden as a result of ICANN's fee structure.

I somehow doubt that registrants would object to a few more pennies being
assessed if service could be improved, and I am sure that the registrars
could probably afford it without the need to pass on additional charges to
the registrants.

Our internal committees, the Supporting Organizations, need to be properly
funded if they are to do an effective job for ICANN.

If just one cent were added to the current fee structure, this would be
sufficient to cover the DNSO's current operating budget.  Please let me know
if my assumptions are incorrect.