Re: [ga] RE: GA/DNSO Funding Issues

Danny and all assembly members,

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> Dear Chuck,
>
> -snip -
>
> I am given to understand that ICANN has been invoicing the gTLD registrars at
> a rate of $535,000 each quarter.  According to the first quarter "State of
> the Domain" report, there were 3,033,933 new registrations during the
> quarter.  This would amount to about 18 cents paid to ICANN for each such new
> domain registration.
>
> Knowing that, at the moment, the two largest registrars represent 62% of
> total registrations, and that both charge $35 for domain name registration, I
> would tend to conclude that these registrars are not suffering an undue
> financial burden as a result of ICANN's fee structure.
>
> I somehow doubt that registrants would object to a few more pennies being
> assessed if service could be improved, and I am sure that the registrars
> could probably afford it without the need to pass on additional charges to
> the registrants.

  I know amongst our members, that you are incorrect here in this assessment
Danny.  Unless or until ICANN actually does provide a service, which it
does not currently, I cannot even see the current fee's being justified.

> Our internal committees, the Supporting Organizations, need to be properly
> funded if they are to do an effective job for ICANN.

  Yes.  And seeking donations is the best method to accomplish this need,
not added fee's that no service is being provided.

> If just one cent were added to the current fee structure, this would be
> sufficient to cover the DNSO's current operating budget.  Please let me know
> if my assumptions are incorrect.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827