Re: [ga] Re: GA/DNSO Funding

Mike and all assembly members,

Mike Roberts wrote:

> Danny -
>
> The Budget Group is only one part of the ICANN budget process.  That
> process has been and continues to be open to anyone or any
> organization for participation and contribution.  In the first
> quarter of the calendar year, a Preliminary budget is posted by the
> staff for community review and comment, both electronic and at the
> first quarterly public forum.  Then a proposed budget is posted in
> the second quarter for further review and comment prior to adoption
> by the Board in June.  A public comment website forum is maintained.
> See Appendix B of the Proposed Budget document for the specific
> calendar that was followed this year.

  I think the point or level of "Participation that Danny was eluding to was
on the decision making level, Mike.  That being the case, this response
is pretty much milk toast.  Nice try though!  >;)

> http://www.icann.org/financials/proposed-budget-14may01.htm
>
> Stuart Lynn tells me that he intends to accelerate the budget
> development process this coming year, with initial opportunities for
> participation and contribution to begin immediately after the annual
> meeting in Marina del Rey in November.

  I hope this isn't "Privileged" information?  And, why has this not been
shared with everyone else?

> - Mike
>
> At 16:57 -0400 8/27/01, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
> >Chuck,
> >
> >What we are looking for is a voice in the process.   The General Assembly (by
> >way of a motion passed by over 80% of the membership) has already expressed
> >its interest in participating in the Budget process.  At this time, the
> >Budget Advisory Committee still consists of only representatives from the
> >four constituencies that provide the bulk of ICANN's funding: the Registrars,
> >gTLD Registries, ccTLD Registries, and RIR constituencies (as per the recent
> >letter of Stuart Lynn to the registrars:
> >http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/registrars/Arc01/msg01048.html ).
> >
> >Just because these organizations collect the funds that are submitted to
> >ICANN does not justify their participation in the budgetary process to the
> >exclusion of the rest of the ICANN community.
> >
> >This is like saying that because the IRS is the instrument that collects
> >funds from taxpayers, only the IRS should have a say in how much money is
> >collected or how such funds should be spent.
> >
> >What is clear to me is that as new gTLDs are added to the mix, resulting in
> >millions of new domain registrations, the average unit amount paid by each
> >gTLD registrar (18 cents) goes down accordingly during these current and
> >upcoming fiscal quarters.
> >
> >Simply maintaining a static rate per registration would result in additional
> >funds to ICANN which could be put to use to provide the services we now lack.
> >   No one is seeking to hurt either the registrars or registries, but rather
> >we seek to develop an appropriate funding vehicle to sustain the activities
> >of the DNSO.  Our input into the Budgetary process might result in
> >recommendations that could support this effort.  If we continue to be shut
> >out of the advisory process, then we will have to rely on the good will of
> >the registries and registrars to look after our best interests.
> >
> >That would not be an ideal approach.
> >

> >--
> >This message was passed to you via the ga@dnso.org list.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827