Re: [ga] Status of the Review Task Force

On 29 Aug 2001, at 9:11, Thomas Roessler wrote:

> On 2001-08-28 15:08:33 -0400, L Gallegos wrote:
>
> >Absolutely NOT, Roberto.  The IDNHC is a critical component of the
> >DNSO,
>
> Just like registries and registrars, and just like the ccTLDs.
>
> It seems that the proposals on breaking up the DNSO in particular say
> "good-bye" to the old issue-based approach to Supporting
> Organizations.
>
> Thus, if the DNSO stays like it is, an IDNHC should be established.
> However, if it's broken up, and the issue-based SO model is abolished,
> an IDNHC's role would in fact be taken by the ALSO.

I don't think so.  If there is a DNSO, there must be a recognized
place for individual domain name holders based on domain name
issues.

On the other hand, the At-large (note I am not using the SO) is
supposed to be a "Membership" component of ICANN and
encompass much more than domain name issues.  The at-large is
concerned with all the SOs, as members, and should not be
relegated to just another advisory SO.  It represents the greater
internet community, holding half the seats on the board.  It's
function is, IMO, very different from the DNSO.  It is not a
constituency.  There will be domain name holders who are
members of the at-large, as I'm sure there will be people who are
involved in IP addressing, technical aspects, protocols and any
other area of the internet.  They will be individuals from every
aspect of the internet community, including end users who are
impacted by ICANN.

As I said before, the IDNHC is very different from the at-large and
has a definite place wthin DNSO regardless of what form it takes
due to restructuring.

If ICANN is to fulfill its mandate as a bottom-up organization, the at-
large membership is a critical component, as is a voice for IDNH's
in particular to balance the DNSO.

Leah