Re: [ga] Status of the Review Task Force

----- Original Message -----
From: "L Gallegos" <jandl@jandl.com>
To: <ga@dnso.org>
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2001 8:58 AM
Subject: Re: [ga] Status of the Review Task Force

> On 30 Aug 2001, at 10:39, Thomas Roessler wrote:
>
> > On 2001-08-29 18:38:46 -0400, L Gallegos wrote:
> >
> > >I thought that DNSO stood for DOMAIN NAME SUPPORTING ORGANIZATION.
> > >How in the world can that be transformed so that it no longer has
> > >responsibility for domain name policy?
> >
> > Look at the ccTLDs.  Responsibility for domain name policy _will_ be
> > split over multiple SOs.
>
> ccTLDs should have complete control over their policies, domain or
> otherwise.  The DNSO should continue to have the same concerns
> it has had.

Agreed.
Its because the cc's actually have complete control over their policies that
makes them so different from the gTLDs, which are "owned and controlled" by
ICANN.

The cc's are responsible to their Local Internet Community, which is a self
defining community,  and which more and more involves the government of the
territory whose name corresponds to the 2 letter ISO code for that
territory.

Its because the DNSO has in fact only ever dealt with gTLD domain name
issues that the cc's have voted to withdraw. The DNSO was never intended or
able to affect ccTLD domain name issues.

> The at-large OTOH encompasses the whole enchilada.  The ccTLD
> SO may also encompass more than just domain names, as well
> as being autonomous and having the right to participate or not in
> the ICANN process.  The fact that most of them choose to
> participate is good for ICANN, whether they adopt all or some of
> ICANN's policies.  They, also need a stronger voice.
>
> I hope the board gets the message.

Me, too. I am confident that it has.

Regards
Peter Dengate Thrush