Re: [ga] Nine Geographical Zones

Excellent ideas here, which may be carried a step further. One of our
august group has commenced an essentially personal poll to find out
how many participants in the GA have domain names -- a good thing
to know, if it is possible to find out.  From the GA members list, one
could easily extract this other factual foundation stone, namely, what
is the geographical distribution of GA participants. (The list of registered
voters already has that data, so that would be a start.)

The further body of facts that would be useful to have for outreach
purposes -- and I have no idea how to collect such facts -- would be
the geographical distribution of people who use the internet, i.e., at
least have email addresses.  At present, those who have domain names
(we are, after all, in the DNSO) and those who participate in the GA
would provide a beginning perspective out of which a geographical
distribution for present purposes could be formulated.  For future
purposes, however, it would be useful to know who all it is that may
(or could be) "listening" to what happens on the internet. It is that much
broader body of people who will need to be served in the future, and
to do so, it would be helpful if we knew more about who they are
(generically, of course, not by name) and where they are located.

Bill Lovell

Elisabeth Porteneuve wrote:

> Actually, it would be essential to have stats on participation
> (people who write to the ga list) from current geographic regions
> or better by countries.
> I see there is no such information provided in ALSC report.
>
> I am very much in favour of geographic diversity, provided
> there is participation behind. If not, we may consider the ICANN
> structure is not well adapted, and then we need to ask ourselves why.
> May be there are alternate structures for wide geographic participation ?
>
> Elisabeth Porteneuve

The URLs for Best Practices:
DNSO Citation:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/gaindex.html
(Under "Other Information Documents"; "August 2001:
Proposal for Best Practices for the DNSO GA." This
page also includes much else about the DNSO.)
Part I:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BestPractices.html
Part II:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BP-flowchart.pdf
(Access to the .pdf file requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader,
available for free down load at
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.)
Part III:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BP-PartIII.html