Re: [ga] Nine Geographical Zones

Dear Overworked Elisabeth,

It is good to see you set aside time to express your views on this list.  Your
point below is well stated and I ask that we simply step back into the non digital
world and see the obvious solution.

When we established business relations as a marketer in such countries as Canada,
Mexico and Vietnam we first initiated the common courtesy of employing a local and
then the legality of a representative office with a local in charge.  Even a
cursory look at matters such as the Hague and UN and the Olympics require that they
have a home and to do business with them you employ local talent to get your work
accomplished.  Countries and regions dealing with ICON should be smart to this and
enlist the assistance of US advocates to help their cause.  It is all part of
marketing and lobbying.  Many would be free of charge, via other business
relationships.  There certainly is no charge from our company to the foreign
country when they ask assistance regarding a Global Internet Strategy Policy
evaluation and or representation.

So should an advocate or representative necessarily need to physically come from a
region? Of course not.

Let me put it this way.; If France were not so well represented regarding their
national views here, they could simply hire someone like Sotiris to speak on their
behalf and he would do a wonderful job of representing their interests, if he did
it really well you would not even know he was doing it.  Regions and Nations must
be represented but making it a discriminatory practice as to who can fill what seat
is kind of bogus.

Just my opinion, which is right. ;>}

Eric